The light Magazine

Key 1994 genocide perpetrator sentenced to 30 years

Written by: Administrator
Saturday, March 23rd, 2019, 2:29
253 Views

Rwandan Supreme Court on Friday sentenced Charles Bandora to 30 years in jail after finding him guilty of conspiracy to commit genocide, complicity to committing murder as a crime against humanity, and formation of Interahamwe militia group during 1994 genocide against the Tutsi. Norway extradited Bandora, 68, in 2013 following Rwanda’s request in 2008.    

“After scrutiny of reasons presented by the defendant to overturn the 2015 ruling of 30 years in jail, the Supreme Court has found them unjustified and hereby upholds the 30-year sentence,” said lead judge Sam Rugege, the President of Rwanda’s Supreme Court [redacted].

Bandora was Rwandan tycoon and high profile member of the ruling National Republican Movement for Democracy and Development (MRND) party.

Over 9,000 Tutsis are buried at Ruhuha Genocide memorial site in the former Ngenda Commune in Eastern Province where he committed the crimes.

Only about 22 out of 1000 genocide suspects living in diaspora especially in Europe have so far been extradited to Rwanda.

High Court had found Bandora guilty of the same charges and had given the same ruling but appealed in November 2018.

Bandora was found guilty of organizing, chairing the meeting April 7, 1994 to kill Tutsis at Ruhuha Catholic Church in Eastern Rwanda.

On December 11, Denmark extradited Wenceslas Twagirayezu to Rwanda, the latest extradition from Europe.

On December12, Rwanda’s prosecution said out of 1,000 fugitives, only 22 had been extradited to Rwanda.

The concluded cases include Belgium (8), Sweden (3), France (3), Holland (2), Canada(2), Finland (1), Norway (1) and Switzerland (1).

Over one million Tutsi and moderate Hutus were killed in 1994 after the downing of the plane on which Ex-President Juvenal Habyarimana and his Burundian counterpart, Cyprien Ntaryamira was aboard on April6.

 

Leave a comment




What Other people say: