Death toll reaches 26 following Friday terrorist attack on Somalia’s Kismayu hotel
Written by: Administrator
Saturday, July 13th, 2019, 10:13
At least 26 including Kenyans, US nationals, Tanzanians and a British have been confirmed dead by the President of Jubbland region today.
Yesterday a car bomb blast and gunfire rocked in the Somalia’s regional city of Kismayo killing dozens of people including politicians, journalists and others hanging out in Medina Hotel, officials said.
The al Qaeda-linked terrorist group, al Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack.
"First, we targeted [the hotel] with a suicide car bomb and then armed 'mujahideen' (fighters) stormed the hotel. We are still fighting inside the hotel," Abdiasis Abu Musab, military operation spokesman of al Shabaab told reporters.
Meanwhile, Somalia’s President Ahmed Mohamed has said in a statement that a Presidential hopeful in the forthcoming polls died during the attack which the Police had earlier said killed 13.
Two journalists including Mohamed Omar Sahal working at SBC TV died according to reporters.
"Mohamed Omar Sahal, SBC TV correspondent based in Kismayo and Hodan Naleyeh, female TV journalist and founder of Integration TV [are] both among [those] killed," Abdalle Ahmed Mumin, the syndicate's secretary general told Reuters.
The port in Kismayo was one of the main revenue sources of al Shabaab where it was dislodged in 2012 losing one of its strongholds.
Al Shabaab had lost control of Mogadishu in the previous year.
PHOTO/ Abdirazak Hussein Farah/AFP